There have been rumours for a while now that Marcos Ambrose might be joining together with Roger Penske to drive in the Australian V8 Supercar series. This would mean that he will be leaving NASCAR to go to Australia.
It was on Saturday that Richard Petty Motorsports announced that Marcos Ambrose would not be returning to their team next year. This started the rumours up as to what he would be doing next year and then Penske announced that they would make an announcement about the Supercars series. So many people had already guessed what was to come after that.
The rumours were confirmed at the weekend when it was announced by Team Penske that it will be partnering with Dick Johnson Racing next year and that Ambrose had been chosen to drive the No. 17 car. Roger Penske said that he was excited with the partnership and that they feel that it is good to build new relationships in racing. He explained that he felt that as they had business ventures in Australia that it would make sense to take part in the V8 Supercars Championship and with the chance to work with Dick Johnson Racing and Marcos Ambrose then it made it a great opportunity for them. Ambrose won the V8 Supercars series championship in 2003 and 2004. He has only had two wins at Sprint Cup level both at Watkins Glen although this year he finished second.
Ambrose is a native Australian and he explained that he felt it was a great opportunity for him to return home and race where he has been very successful in the past. He also said that it was going to be a great honour to race for the two legend companies Dick Johnson Racing and Roger Penske.