Well I barely managed to stay awake through the Bud Shootout Saturday, not because it was boring but because my son is sick and he had us up at about 5:30 am – not to mention I’m a little under the weather myself – but none-the-less I manged to stick it out and write a quick post before going to bed.
Anyway, here are some random observations I made while watching the race;
- Can Joey Logano really race in the Bud Shoot out? Isn’t he under drinking age? Isn’t there some sort of law against his participation in an alcohol sponsored event? I seem to recall that Kurt Busch wasn’t allowed to race in a certain race because he was too young for the race sponsor’s product.
- The CoT really is durable, I mean The Biff was involved in three seperate incidents before he parked it.
- Jeff Gordon can still wheel a car around that track. Did you see him drive through that crash unscathed? Man.
- Those cars were pretty quick considering the ‘no testing’ ban. In fact they were faster this Feburary than last Feburary.
- Speaking of the CoT, there is a kind of good side and bad side to it when it comes to handling. The good is that drivers are now able to save it when they are getting sideways – did you Denny Hamlin get so sideways that he should have wrecked but didn’t? The bad is that the cars are so loose at the start of a run that they get sideways and at the end of a run they get so tight that they push towards the wall.
- The Hendrick cars really have a handle on their set-ups.
- It was nice to see Smoke up front – I hope he can do that more the rest of the season.
- The Dinger had a good run, but was it good enough to attract a full-time sponsor? Don’t count on it, not yet anyway.
- I expect to see a good run from Jamie McMurray this week, but can he do it for the rest of the season? I don’t know but would expect he won’t be back at Roush-Fenway if he doesn’t.
- Where the heck is the darn spell check on this thing?
Tomorrow I’ll have my thoughts about the all Martin front row for the 500. CYA.